Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rain on a Tin Roof

Today's been a deliciously lazy day. There's a typhoon coming through (which apparently just means a large rainstorm, but typhoon sounds so much cooler) and it's almost too rainy/floody to go outside. I was out fairly late last night so I slept in virtually forever. I love mornings when you wake up and then go back to sleep and are just sleepy enough to fall back to sleep but not entirely so you have a little bit of control over your dreams. This is the first week I can remember where I've gotten enough sleep every night. I sort of went through college pretending caffeine and sleep were perfect substitutes, but now I'm realizing it's better when they are complements. In Greece, there were a few nights where I was so tired I fell asleep on my floor. If anyone ever tells you dinner ends at 2 or 3 am in Greece, believe them. I thought my boss was exaggerating!

My upstairs apartment is so nice in the rain. It makes fantastic sounds on the roof and I can hear the wind beating around the walls. I've spent most of the day upstairs reading a book about an American gangster in Tokyo after World War II.

I had to venture out to run errands earlier today. Unfortunately, I packed for Abu Dhabi where it never rains, so I had to settle for old gold flats and a borrowed umbrella. I think it might be time to buy more all-weather clothing. I succeeded in not being an embarrassment to myself because I discovered there were plastic sleeves outside the grocery store to put your umbrella in so it didn't drip. After you put your umbrella into the plastic sleeve, you then put a rubber band around the top to make sure it stays tightly on. Dryness is a serious business.

If the rain continues to be this bad, I'll probably post more later.

No comments: