Monday, October 29, 2007

Chatting with the Graveyard Shift

Japan is in what feels like an artificial time zone. It's thirteen hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, but should probably be more like fifteen hours. It gets dark around 4:30 right now-- I think December will be interesting, although I leave a few days shy of the shortest day of the year.

In the morning, I usually am more work focused, but as the afternoon wears on, I look for more of a break from work and sign on to gchat. Unfortunately, this coincides with the middle of the night back home. Luckily, in college, someone is always awake at 2 or even 4 am. In general, there are three possible scenarios: a) they are upset or restless b) they are very drunk or c) they are urgently trying to finish a paper/problem set. In the first case, I feel useful, in the second amused, and in the third, annoying.

The unfortunate thing is that my friends who have graduated from college and have real jobs are for the most part much more sensible than I am and go to bed shortly after I wake up. In general this is true of my family too, but lately my mother's been up late because of the Red Sox. Thanks for the long innings, Boston!

No comments: