Monday, December 3, 2007

Royalty and Remakes

Ok, I give up,I officially hate primary season. Can I be cool now? I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was in kindergarten. A little fishy.

I've always thought it was a good thing that American didn't have royalty, but today while we were watching coverage of the Guiliani NYC scandal, R made an interesting point. She argued that while Guiliani clearly used city resources inappropriately, the coverage of his sex life was over the top, although it was a long shot from the attention paid to Clinton's scandals. In contrast, in Europe, monarchs can be the moral face of a population so the public is less concerned with the morality of politicians and more concerned with their policies. (Or maybe whether they'd done business with people who harbor al Qaeda operatives.) I'd always thought Europe was just less puritanical, but maybe it is helpful for a country to have non-elected dignitaries who can be morally accountable celebrity representatives.

Also, this story sounds kind of like high school students decided to remake the War of 1812 in the style of a Wishbone episode for their final, setting it in the present day. They swapped out press ganging for extradition and got confused about who was doing the kidnapping. Aren't there treaties with our allies for that?

No comments: