Friday, December 14, 2007

All Gone to Look for America

Instead of packing today, I made a playlist for my trip, which is almost the same as packing.

Going Home Mix
1) Closer to Me (Dar Williams)
2) Carmen Sandiago (Rockapella-- completely breaks the tone of the mix, but oh well)
3) Leaving on a Jet Plane (John Denver--ok, Chantal Kreviazuk)
4) Unwritten (Natasha Bedingfield)
5) All That I Want (The Weepies)
6) The Blessings (Dar Williams)
7) Hotel Song (Regina Spektor)
8) America (Simon and Garfunkel)
9) California (Joni Mitchell)
10) Iowa (Dar Williams)
11) Omaha (Counting Crows-- strong opinion: someone needs to write a Vermont song but I have a sustained ten year love for this song)
12) So Close to My Heart (Dar Williams)
13) Happiness (The Weepies)
14) Heaven When We're Home (The Wailing Jennies)

The Daily Gazette ran an article about my friend Jon and other swatties serving in the military. I think the article slightly misrepresents Jon's interest in the military--I think he sees economic diversity within the armed services as as critical a goal as political diversity-- but it's an interesting topic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect song for your finale.

Anonymous said...

So, as I've told you before, I've never really read your blog. But I just fell in love with it. I can't stop reading it. This is the first of many comments. (If I comment on a somewhat dated post, will you ever see it?)

1. I was completely misrepresented. I see the socioeconomic, racial, and geographic diversity of the Corps as a way more critical issue than the ideological diversity.
2. I love your mix.
3. Two suggestions: Jonas and Ezekial by Indigo Girls and Lost in America by Jon Langford. I will be happy to share either with you, upon request.