Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Maybe you should drink a lot less coffee

My computer saga has continued, and I don't think I'll have my own functional computer back until I return to the states. Rachel has kindly given me her backup to use as a sub, and although it relies on a Japanese operating system (maybe I'll leave knowing the kanji for "save as" and "this program needs to shut down!"), it works very well. However, the sound isn't as good as on my computer, which has resulted in a few changes in my post-work internet diversions.

In the evening, I used to read the news and legit political blogs for a while, and then switch over to America's Next Top Model Re-runs on Youtube or free Heros downloads. Now, rather than watch ANTM without sound and miss the crucial in-fighting, I've had to do some revamping. I usually start out with legit news-- which devolves into reading about countries I don't know anything about on wikipedia (Tajikistan looks beautiful)-- to obsessively googling primary polls. I'd say this is a step up, but I'm a little alarmed by how easily I can sub out reality TV for primary coverage.

In November of 2006, I had an argument with one of my favorite Political Science professors. He was teaching a class that met once a week from 7 pm to 10 pm (read: midnight) on Tuesday. Several students in his class wanted to reschedule the class on Election Day so they could watch the results come in. He thought this was a superficial element of participation, watching the results come in like a sporting event. He was disparaging of the trend of staying up all night in order to get instant information, pointing out that the result would be the same in the morning regardless of how many people had slept.

I was indignant and argued that a lot of the students had been working on the election for months, and it was difficult to not have a level of emotional investment after that degree of involvement. Even if their watching would not change results, to wait until the morning would be akin to putting your college admission letter on a shelf and not opening it for a week. Even if you found out you were waitlisted (“too close to call”), better to sleep knowing that than nothing at all. He then asked the class if we believed the election results really made a difference, and people answered enthusiastically.

I also pointed out that if he didn’t let his class watch, people were likely to be distracted and text their friends for results or take advantage of the wireless zone on their laptops-obsteniably-brought-for-note-taking. Sometimes I really like technology.

I think he ultimately bought my argument. The next day, he let us take 20 minutes at the begining of (the six hour) class to watch Rumsfeld's resignation speech. To be honest, every minute of that class was solid gold, and retrospectively I wish I had discussed Nicaragua for twenty minutes more instead. At the time, though, the exilheration was worth it.

Still, I left the conversation wondering to what extent closely following polls and fundraising totals is like watching a sporting event, just good competitive entertainment rather than bona fide engagement. I don’t mean pulling up Clinton’s healthcare policy and contrasting it to Edwards', or watching the youtube debate —the things you do to be an informed voter or volunteer. I'll never say politics is just a game. I’m more calling myself out on my obsessive tendency to check polls in primary states on a daily basis, information that doesn’t affect my decisions and that I can’t affect from Kikuna, Japan.

Political commentators who I respect a lot, like Atrios, seem very frustrated by the primary. I suspect that if I were cooler, I'd also be bored by the primary and have a minimalist facebook profile and listen to bands before they sold out. While I could make a case for the primary-- candidates can articulate a much broader scope of policy options than would be acceptable in general debate-- I don't think this is necessarily what happens.

In 2004, I was so into Dean--and so frustrated with the other candidate' attacks on him--that it took me a long time to be geuninely excited about Kerry. While it's important not to rally around a candidate before the primaries even start, the months of un-electable-mongering and dubious matchup polls and campaign gossip and hypothesizing and criticizing and attacking from supporters, media and candidates alike aren't productive. I was so planning to not get hooked on this primary season and hold off until the general election, but it's too late.

I can't blame it all on the lack of sound on my computer. I did the same thing the last two times around. I also have this bad habit of needing to announce my findings to whoever is in earshot. Rachel, my sophomore roommate, pretended that this was useful and she misses it now. Rachel, my boss and current victim, agreed, but I think they are both just nice people.

I guess as addictions go, it's cheap and harmless and more useful than most. Youtube debate next week?

No comments: