Thursday, November 22, 2007

Achilles' Lament

I got through college without a running injury (that is, if you don't count the death of several toenails) without stretching, so I thought my legs were especially ergonomically suited for running. This fall has called that theory into question. So far, I've already had two: a pulled hip muscle in Greece and now Achilles' tendonitious. I'm blaming it on the pavement and the hills.

I keep getting "old person" injuries-- a pulled hip, tight tendons-- instead of normal runner injuries like shin splints or knee joint inflamation. I think it's a sign I need to start actually stretching instead of pulling my ankle back and pretending I'm stretching. I already have an "aren't you flexible" pose-- sitting down on the floor with bent knees open on either side of me and then leaning back all the way until my head is on the floor-- but showing off aside, hyperflexible hips apparently don't make for an injury free runner. Darn. Life's too short for stretching.

I love endomorphins so I go a bit nuts when I can't run, especially when I don't have gym access. I keep taking a day off, deciding I've 'rested' and then running the next day. I'm going to try to take the rest of the week off and do a better of icing in the meantime. I wish there were more injuries you had to apply heat to instead of ice. I considered icing my ankle with a Chu-hi in a hot bath, but then I decided that was probably counterproductive.

No comments: