Monday, November 5, 2007

Overly Intelligent Design

Tonight's a bit colder than the last few nights have been, and I bought some tea at the conveni. I don't have a tea kettle, so I figured I'd make it the same way I made chai before I had a tea kettle in college-- by pouring in very hot water from the sink. (This is probably a crime against tea.) My Japanese sink has a cool-- and deceptively simple-- control panel that allows me to pick exactly how hot I want my water. Pleased with myself, I filled my cup up and set my tea to steep and settled down to write another blog post about my weekend.

Then I heard water running in the bathroom.

I went in and didn't see water coming from the sink or from the bathtub. I slid my under both faucets just to be sure, and felt nothing. I was about to conclude it was all in my head, or just water rushing through the pipes, when I noticed water going down the drain in the bottom of the tub.

I guess I accidentally pushed some panel when I was heating up the water in the sink that causes the tub to fill. (And, interestingly, apparently the tub can fill from bottom up.) I know I said I'd have the whole bathroom figured out by the end of October. I do, I promise-- everything but the kitchen sink. I didn't know that was part of the picture.

I'm just going to pretend my apartment is like the castle in Beauty and the Beast. My applicances noticed I was heating up water for tea, discussed it among themselves, and decided I probably was going to want a warm bath. Why thank you, appliances. That's an excellent suggestion.

No comments: