Thursday, January 24, 2008

DC Village

DC is surprisingly small for a city of 600,000. I thought this was because I've mainly been sticking to Northwest and the Eastern Market area, but then I realized that was also the same size as Vermont, and you know, all we Vermonters know each other.

My friend Eleuthera was down from New York for the weekend, and over the course of two days, we accidentally ran into five swatties ranging from class of '05 to class of '09. We even ran into the same swattie twice, once in an art museum, and once biking on U Street wearing an intimidating ski mask. It's an invasion. I feel like we're running the city. If FISA gets through, I'm looking at you, Swarthmore Poli Sci department. Hmph.

Someone I meet for the first time one evening will be in my metro car the next day. I'm so glad Swarthmore taught me the swivel. I use it. A friend from the summer knows someone who used to work with my aunt. A girl I met at a party works with a friend from Swarthmore. There's less of a bubble, but a healthy dose of tact remains essential.

We aren't quite sure what the best term for the District of Columbia is. I go by "DC" but E thinks non-swatties may tend to say "Washington." I've been trying to catch locals referencing their home, and am considering "the District" as an alternative. I was under the illusion that's what the cool people call it, but have been told that's what Hollywood wants me to think the cool people call it. Next thing you know, I'll be dying my hair blond.

No comments: