Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Runaways

Many of the expats I’ve met here seem to have something they are running away from—a messy divorce, a cold family, an abusive relationship, a bad job. I’ve tested out this theory on other people leaving the country throughout the last year or two. I’ll express my desire to travel, confide my fear of being lonely and ask if they are close to their families. By and large, they then bring up the things they are trying to leave behind. It’s a classic piece of the mythology about aid workers (I’ve heard they sometimes even ask Peace Corps interviewees what they are trying to escape) but perhaps it extends to many expats.

I’m very fortunate in my personal relationships. I don’t have anything I’m trying to get away from. All this adds up to make me wonder why I’m leaving behind so much. What kind of person leaves a wealth of people who she loves and who loves her behind?

The best and most comforting answer I can come up with: A person who has led such a happy life that she is secure in the permanence and inevitability of love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bree,
I love your behind.

Mom